Sunday, February 25, 2007

Culver Romp

Yesterday, Jess and I went to Culver City to check out the "Entropy" exhibit at the
Koplin Del Rio Gallery. The exhibit was pretty interesting and had to do with "The Art in Architecture". Many of the architects featured in the exhibit were either teachers that I had at SCI-Arc, teachers who taught there or were other individuals related to my past education. There was some rich and engaging pieces there, but there was also some crap. Nonetheless it was refreshing and encouraging to see crafted work of some of the area architects. It was the last day of the show and I was glad to have gotten out there to see it.

While we were in the area... we also stopped by the Eric Owen Moss projects at the Hayden Tract. As there was nobody around and the security guard was apparently off, we waltzed right in and took a bunch of photos in the courtyard and surrounding areas. To most architects, this stuff is old hat and done, but no matter how I may feel about Moss, seeing these buildings in person is still pretty amazing.
We also went to Tito's Tacos for lunch. If you have never been, I highly recommend it.
The first image here is of the "Umbrella Building", as it is called in certain circles. I tried running this set of images through my splicing program, but halfway through it went haywire and I was forced to reckon with the burden of perspective manually.


No comments: