Monday, February 12, 2007

Collection of Collections

At some point in the last couple of days, I began thinking of collections. More specifically, my personal collections. And even more specifically... collections from my past. It began by jotting down everything that I have collected at some point in my life, whether of my own volition or not. The list was rather extensive and it spawned further wonder about the nature of collections. What constitutes a collection? How many? Can I really call something my own collection if it was given to me?

I continued jotting some ideas and further questions down until I determined that the best way for me to grapple with this notion was to make a project out of it, architecturally and artistically, which I will tentatively refer to as A Structure to House A Collection of Collections. It is by no means developed but here's a quick composite sketch of some initial thoughts, shapes and objects coming together.

No comments: